Double strollers are the way to go if you have twin children or have two with a very short age gap. This type of stroller is very efficient because you won’t have to lug around two strollers and at the same time, it allows only one parent to push. It gives the husband or the wife much more freedom, as they won’t have to rely to each other when it comes to taking the kids out.
Although double strollers are very bulky, it still saves you more space and effort than buying separate ones. There are also lightweight double strollers that are intended for travelling. Before you proceed to purchase a double stroller, make sure that it has all the aspects that you need, as well as the design most efficient for you.
In this article, we have listed the different types of double strollers and some factors to consider when getting one, so you’ll have no trouble looking for the right double stroller for your kids.
What are the different types of double strollers?
Mainly, double strollers differ on the style or positioning of the seats but there are also ones that differ based on the usage. We have listed below some types to give you an idea on what’s available in the market.
- Stadium-style – This is the style of a stroller where the seats are in front of the other, with the rear seat propped slightly higher. The two seats usually can be reclined and have their own separate foot rests and canopies to protect the children from the heat and UV. It should also have extra large compartments underneath to fit the baby needs. For this you can try the:
Graco DuoGlider Classic Connect Stroller, Dragonfly
- 27 riding options for two children from infant to youth, including bench seat and standing platform options
- Accepts two Graco Snug Ride Click Connect Infant Car Seats. Front Seat and Rear Seat: Up to 50 lb each
- Two removable, reclining seats can be positioned multiple ways for optimal configuration and comfort while strolling
- Side-by-Side – This is another style that can be mostly seen used for same-sized children or twins. This is good as the kids can interact with each other and give them equal legroom. The only downside is that side-by-side strollers can be difficult to wheel in a crowded sidewalk and narrow passageways. Check out:
Joovy Scooter X2 Double Stroller
- 30" width-fits through standard doors, accommodates two 45 pounds children (90 pounds total)
- Recline each seat and adjust each footrest independently of each other
- One-hand fold, huge basket and canopy, removable bumper bar. Flame Retardant and Chemical Free, The peek-a-boo window in the canopy means that even with all that sun protection, you can still keep an eye on your precious cargo
- Back-to-Back – This design allows two kids to sit much like in stadium style, but the child propped higher at the back faces the parent. This is good if the parent is going to seat two different-aged kids, or a toddler and a newborn. The toddler can sit in front while the newborn can lie on the back, facing the parent. There are also ones that let you remove the back baby seat, exposing a seat for bigger kids. A good example is the:
Safety 1st Safety 1st Stand on Board, Classic Black
- Children can sit in the front and rear seats of this stroller or stand on the rear platform
- Removable rear seat converts stroller to traditional Sit N Stand
- One hand fold is fast and easy to use, large basket for storage. To clean the seat pad, use only mild household soap or detergent and warm water on a sponge or clean cloth
- Travel – The best type to get for travelling is a lightweight double stroller that can fold compactly and can be easily lifted to take on the train or on the bus. It should also be sturdy enough to take a beating, especially if intended to be checked into planes.
For this purpose, it is recommended to get a simple umbrella stroller as they can be opened and closed easily, can be maneuvered easily in crowd, and can protect your kids from the sun during long travel walks. The downside is that these strollers won’t fare well in rough terrain and don’t contain fancy accessories. For this, check out:
Jeep Wrangler Twin Sport All-Weather Umbrella Stroller
- RECOMMENDED USE: Each seat holds up to 40 lbs. (80 lbs. total) | Canopies feature pop out SPF 50 sun visors to shield little ones | Peak-a-boo windows allow you to keep an eye on your children | Swivel bars make it easy to get children in and out
- LIGHTWEIGHT: This stroller features an aluminum frame | Weighs 28.66 pounds | Storage bin provides plenty of room for toys, snacks, etc. | Double stroller features 1680D fabric that is durable and water resistant
- SIZE: Assembled dimensions (in inches): 29.5 (width), 36.2 (depth), 41.7 (height) | Folded dimensions: 29.5 (width), 30 (depth), 13.4 (height) | Easy/compact standing fold, foam handles and carry strap for easy storing or traveling | Quick release wheels
- Running – There are so-called jogging strollers that are meant for parents who want to take their kids out for a run. This is great for new mothers who want to get back in shape but can’t leave their babies behind. These strollers are huge, made with big rubber wheels, and are heavy duty.
Jogging strollers are designed for both smooth and rough terrain while still being completely comfortable for the kids, most especially since the wheels come with shock absorbers. The stroller is also made with additional safety so that parents can run at high speed without worrying about the stroller. A good example is the:
Schwinn Turismo Swivel Double Jogger
- Aluminum frame for easy handling
- Dual trigger folding mechanism offers uncompromised safety
- Molded, flip open child tray with dual cup holders & molded parent tray with dual fin grip cup holders
Key Takeaway: Whatever you pick, make sure that it is the best one for your children where they can feel very comfortable and tucked in safe. The stroller is also one of a parent’s best friends as it greatly gives them ease, but if the wrong kind of stroller is picked, it may be more hassle than help.
What are the factors to consider when getting a double stroller?
Safety – Always put the safety of your child as your top-most priority. Make sure to purchase a double stroller wherein both of your kids will be safe and secured. The double stroller must have proportionate sides so that when your children move a lot, the stroller will be strong enough to hold the weight.
Age – Consider the age of your children when picking a double stroller for them. As previously mentioned, side-by-side ones are great for same-aged kids while back-to-back and stadium style are good for a toddler and a baby. You can also get a back-to-back style where a bigger child can comfortably sit behind the main seat.
Comfort – The stroller should also be comfortable for them. Get ones that are padded and can be adjusted to reclining position so they can nap whenever they need to. The wheels should also be shock resistant, especially if you’re getting a jogging stroller. This way, your children won’t feel like they’re shaking every time you push the stroller.
Convenience Features – Check for other features that your stroller can offer. Does it come with storage pockets or bags? Does it come with organization trays and drink holders? Can you extend the hood of your stroller to cover more? Is the handle bar made of slip-free materials such as rubber? These features can greatly help you.
Get the right double stroller based on the style preferred and your needs. Through this guide, you’ll be able to know the different styles and purpose of many strollers and hopefully, you’ll be able to find the right one that fits you and your kids.